GSoC 2016

Niklas Andersson niklas.andersson at openforce.se
Thu Feb 25 04:21:52 EST 2016

Thanks Ashish for your offer :)

  I could also supply you or any developer that are interested in this
feature with information about how we are doing it with Lync.

  I have also reached out to the XMPP-group for some pointers in order
to make this feature implementation independent.

  The procedure for setting up a screen sharing session is very similar
to how File Transfer is handled. XMPP is basically only responsible for
signaling and opening the connection between the two endpoints. It is
specified in XEP-0167: Jingle RTP Sessions [1]. We would need to do some
additions though. We would need to setup a new media called
"applicationsharing" (That is how it is named in Lync at least), also to
implement negotiation between server and client with respect to which
protocol to use (rdp vs vnc for example)

  <description xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle:apps:rtp:1'
media='applicationsharing'>
    <payload-type id='111' name='x-rdp' clockrate='90000'/>
    <payload-type id='112' name='x-vnc' clockrate='90000'/>
</description>

  In our Lync-project we have just rebased to upcoming FreeRDP 2.0
currently maintained by release manager Bernhard Miklautz found on [2]

  We have also made substantial contributions to the libnice-library in
order to get ICE/TURN-things to work. Should there be a need to do
further additions/patching in libnice to get Screen Sharing over XMPP to
work, I would most probably be possible to arrange this...

  I could also do the coordination with XMPP and other projects - we
would also need to touch a common ground with Telepathy/Empathy with
respect to how we form the XMPP-signaling.

[1] http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0167.html
[2] https://github.com/bmiklautz/debian-freerdp2

Best regards,
Niklas