IRC: used nickname makes authentication fail

Ángel González angel at pidgin.im.16bits.net
Sat May 28 18:29:31 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-07 at 19:35 +0000, Diego Nieto Cid wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've noticed an issue when Pidgin tries to reconnect to IRC after
> network interruptions. I'm connecting to "chat.freenode.net" to a
> registered nickname and authenticating via SASL.
>
> (…)
> Of course I could also register my nickname with a 1 appended, or try
> again later, etc. Just wanted to know what developers thought about
> the issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Diego

The authentication message will contain an optional authorization
identity (authzid), the authentication identity (authcid), and the
password (passwd) [see RFC 4616].

Thus, there should be no problem in registering as name with nick name1
(this is the equivalent of doing /msg NickServ IDENTIFY <nick> <pass>)

I have just checked and freenode servers do support this use case.

The problem here seems to be that the nick renaming also changes the
nick used for sasl identification, while the nickname set by the user
should have been used for authentication.

Regards