Old paradigms...

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Mon Jul 24 21:46:09 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> On 07/24/2017 02:06 PM, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> > What I'm thinking is renaming Contact to MetaContact, Buddy to
> > Contact, and BuddyList to ContactList.
>
> If we're going to do this, 3.0.0 is clearly the time to do it.

I agree.  As Gary pointed out elsewhere, it would be a horrible idea to
push 3.0.0 out and then make this change and have to push a 4.0.0 soon
thereafter.

> I see the logic in doing this.
>
> This is just off the top of my head, but what about Person instead of
> MetaContact?

This I think makes sense, at least for how the concept is supposed to be
used.

> Or how about just changing Buddy to Address? So it's a ContactList, full
> of Contacts, who have Addresses?

I see the logic of where you're going, but that might be confusing since
not all protocols really have a concept of an "Address"  per se.

John

(P.S. Yes, Gary has somewhat caused me to rise from the grave.)