Old paradigms...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Jul 31 05:38:44 EDT 2017

On Sun, 2017-07-30 at 23:04 -0500, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 3:48 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> >
> > While we're at it, please can we add a concept of transient
> > buddies/contacts.
> >
> > IF I get an incoming IM from someone I've never heard of, then for the
> > duration of that IM chat window, I *could* show that person's full name
> > and presence.
> >
> > Right now it only works for individuals who *happen* to already be
> > known buddies. I have all the information in my prpl but no way to
> > convey it to libpurple/Pidgin.
>
> So you're thinking of something like always have a buddy or whatever
> we're calling it for everyone (and get rid of the just name thing for
> them) and have an option to not show/store them in the contact list?

Do you mean 'get rid of the just name thing' for serv_got_im() and
purple_conv_chat_add_user(), and to pass a PurpleBuddy (or whatever
that's called) instead?

I suppose we could, although that wasn't what I was thinking. It's fine
to just pass the name up from the prpl as we do now, and let
Pidgin/libpurple handle what happens next.

It so happens that Pidgin chooses to display the contact's presence at
the top of the IM window, and wants that information. And that it shows
the contact's full name by preference in the list of chat members, so
it wants that too.

Pidgin *already* creates a transient PurpleBuddy for that purpose, if
no known buddy already exists. My prpl already *receives* status
information for that buddy; it's just that there's no way for me to
make the two meet in the middle. My prpl doesn't even get a *signal*
let alone a direct invocation when code elsewhere creates a buddy for
the account, which seems odd.