How to handle persistent chat rooms / conversations

Eion Robb eion at robbmob.com
Sun Jun 25 01:42:26 EDT 2017

Hi David,

Really excited to see you start this conversation.  It's something that
I've discussed with people on a case-by-case basis but never somewhere a
bit more permanent and open like the devel mailing list.

As you might know, I maintain a couple of protocol plugins, and the trend
for these is to have a persistent history.  The trouble is that libpurple
isn't entirely suited to this kind of setup.  Various protocol plugins have
tried various things over the years to be able to represent this, but as of
yet I haven't found anything that solves the issue perfectly.  Group chat's
are probably the worst when it comes to the UX for this.

In terms of keeping track of the group conversation itself, my personal
favourite is to just automatically add the group chat to the buddy list.
Unfortunately, not all libpurple UI's support this (bitlbee is the main one
that comes to mind, but I believe spectrum2 is similar), and so a
workaround for them is to use the Tools->Room List api to keep track of
what open conversations are available.

In terms of the actual history of those conversations, I've had a few
issues.  Downloading all conversation history since the last time you
opened a chat room is easy enough but you'll run into issues for very busy
rooms or if you've connected to an account/room after several
days/weeks/months/years of absence; although the Telegram plugin
worksaround this fairly well with a setting for the max number of days of
history to download.  Similarly, downloading the entirety of history for a
conversation could cause problems for long-running conversations.  It would
be easy to fill up a HDD with history of conversations in busy rooms.

Another issue is keeping track of the conversation state when closing an IM
or Chat.  The History plugin in Pidgin helps a lot with this (although damn
it gets slow when it's trying to find the newest conversation!), and I
quite like the trick that the Matrix plugin does to mark a Chat as
'persistent' (although sadly this is a specific for Pidgin
'gtk-persistent').  In the Skype plugin, I tried experimenting with
downloading the latest 20 messages whenever opening/joining a conversation
- this was well-received by users, but made a real mess of logs, and could
cause timing issues if a message was received while the history was
used libpurple as it caused the bots to respond to very old messages.

The latest suggestion (that I haven't tried implementing yet) was to create
a /history slash-command that could download X many messages in a
conversation.  This feels a little clumsy though, and is hard for a user to
know when a conversation does/doesn't support it - it also could be
implemented a million different ways, depending on the whims of the plugin
author at the time.

What I'd love to see in libpurple is a couple of things:
First of all, a way to mark a group-chat as persistent, in a
non-UI-specific way - better API calls around this and adding a persistent
group chat to the UI would be really helpful.
Secondly (and I was thinking of trialling this as a Pidgin plugin to begin
with) is a signal or api hook for the UI to request the previous X number
of lines or Y minutes of conversation from a certain point.  Where this
gets tricky is that individual messages in libpurple don't have ID's so
prpls that use ID's for messages (to get the previous 5 message since
message ABC) who are being told 'give me all messages since the time Y'
will have a tough time converting.  The other issue, is that without
sub-second message precision, it's more difficult to say "get me all
messages from before 2017-06-25 17:38:05" and not run into any duplicates.

I'd love to see other's opinions on this problem (especially people from a
UI point of view), as it's something that keeps recurring with requests
from users, that I'm not totally sure how to solve.

Apologies for the wall of text, but hopefully there's enough history in
there (pun intented) to get an idea of what the problem is and why it's a
problem.

Cheers,
Eion