"Optimised for Lync" headsets

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Mar 22 04:23:50 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-03-21 at 23:07 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Nice! I got a Jabra headset too(dunno if it has this capability
> though)

You can try the command line tool in examples/hiddev of
https://github.com/gnaudio/linux-info

If that works, this should — because I mostly just lifted their code
for the headset side of things.

You'll probably want a udev rule to change the ownership of the hid
device node. Mine looks like this:

$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-jabra.rules
KERNEL=="hiddev*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b0e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1017", GROUP="plugdev", OWNER="dwmw", MODE="0640"

Note that there's nothing actually Jabra-specific about the HID
elements it uses, although the precise behaviour is probably fairly
vendor-specific. The device *does* have a bunch of vendor-specific
fields but the documentation promised on the Jabra web site is 404.

> > I have this working, with a plugin that monitors the media streams for
> > mute/unmute events and synchronises the state with the headset:
> > http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/pidgin-headset.git
>
> What, no meson !:)

I'm going to be in Sweden next week. Don't make me come and hurt you :)

FWIW I can't actually build Pidgin trunk on my work laptop any more, as
it requires a much newer version of Meson than I have. I was looking at
backporting the media device selection support (which is hosed in 2.x),
but had to revert to the last build where autohate was still working.

Sometimes, I swear it's almost like we don't *want* people to build and
contribute...

> The PRs you sent the other day, can you send them as patches too?
> I would like to try they out but I don't have the motivation to start
> messing with mercurial as well.

I just have the volume percentage one; what did we want to do with
that? Do we want the "don't multiply by five" option from trunk, or
"multiply by five and clip manually just to shut the warning up" as I
suggested? Or something more complex and logarithmic?

Was there another one?