Email Lists

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Fri Oct 14 11:48:47 EDT 2022

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022, 08:27 Haudy Kazemi <kaze0010 at umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A few thoughts:
>
> Is the idea that this will be self-hosted somewhere?

Self hosted, our infrastructure is sponsored by DigitalOcean. Apparently I
should be mentioning that here too instead of just in our blog ;-)

> Or that it will be small enough to fit on the free service tiers? That is
> 50k monthly content requests like page/message/thread views and 5 GB
> storage.
> https://free.discourse.group
>
> The paid tiers can get pricey:
> https://www.discourse.org/pricing
>
> Discourse does appear to offer email to forum bridging for those who
> prefer to receive and send messages via an email client of their choice.
> Here is one group's info about this topic:
> https://gramps.discourse.group/t/discourse-email-settings/116
>
> As long as the list archives are available somewhere, I don't think it is
> necessary to actually import those archives into a replacement tool or
> forum.

The problem is the archives aren't static and need abandoned software to
"stay as the are". I can dump then in a container to limit risk, but that's
still not ideal.

I personally prefer email, at least for lower volume groups like this. It
> seems a forum with a full bidirectional bridge to email would be
> functionally equivalent.
>
> I am not sure user import is necessary. Also, some people may not want to
> be signed up on hosted Discourse or another service with their current
> names/user accounts/email addresses.
>
> An alternative approach is a self-signup period, announced regularly on
> the current list, where everyone is encouraged to signup in the new space
> but not use it for posting except testing.
>
> Then follow up with a cutover date where all posts should go to the new
> system, and old system is made read only (except for sending a few more
> sign up reminder messages).

I've been considering something like this, thanks for your input.