[Advisories] Libpurple security vulnerability CORE-2009-0727

Elliott Sales de Andrade qulogic at pidgin.im
Fri Jul 31 00:35:21 EDT 2009

Well, I have two questions about this.

1. You have attached two copies of 'pidgin-1.txt'. Is there supposed to be a
'pidgin-2.txt'?
2. Paul and I looked into the code and we're not sure how this can be
triggered.
They outlined a two-step process. For the second step, they say buffer is
NULL, thus allowing a memcpy to an arbitrary location.
However, I don't see how this could happen. The buffer should either have
been allocated in the first step, or if that fails, the original message
would be destroyed. And without that, the second part could not occur. So,
how are they getting buffer to be NULL?