Build Failure Re: Yahoo Protocol Changes

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Sun Jun 21 01:49:48 EDT 2009

Warren Togami wrote:
> On 06/21/2009 12:53 AM, Ari Pollak wrote:
>> Warren Togami wrote:
>>> It built successfully on Fedora 9 through 12 and RHEL-5.  But it is
>>> failing to build on RHEL-4.  Any ideas?
>>
>> I'm guessing RHEL-4 has a glib older than 2.6?
>>
>> http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-String-Utility-Functions.html#g-strv-lengt
>>

> glib2-2.4.7-1
>
> Would it be possible to not break support for glib-2.4?  We really hope
> to maintain the same version of pidgin between RHEL-4 and RHEL-5.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we REALLY need to reevaluate
our glib-2.0 compatibility, which of course here it's an oversight.

In this case, gtk-2.4.7 is nearly 5 years old.  I know the big issue is
LTS, which is fine, the majority of the important changes are in
protocol's themselves and those should, for the most part, be able to
compile against an older version of libpurple.  The other important
changes would be security related, which again, should for the most
part, apply cleanly to older releases.

In this case, someone will either need to backport the code from glib
into pidgin, wrapping it with preproc which not only makes the code
harder to maintain (applying bug fixes and so on from upstream), as well
as increase build time.

I guess the question I'm trying to ask is, at which point do we draw the
line?  I know there's been talk of moving to at *LEAST* glib 2.6.0 for
3.0.0, but I personally would rather see us go a bit further, like
2.14.0 so we get built in regex, rather than having to depend on posix
regex which doesn't exist on windows.  That's just one example...

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>