Question about changes to configure.ac/configure scripts.

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Thu Jul 28 15:36:45 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 01:44:16PM -0400, Ari Pollak wrote:
> On 07/28/2011 01:09 PM, Etan Reisner wrote:
>> I'd like to remove the --with-*-* flags if possible. So the question is do
>> any of the packagers currently use the --with-*-* configure flags (to
>> override pkg-config) and if you do would switching to using the
>> environment variables be overly problematic?
>
> Debian currently only uses --with-zephyr=/usr to specify that the
> system-wide library should be used instead of the built-in copy; maybe this
> isn't actually needed anymore.

It looks like --with-zephyr may be all you need to do that. It looks like
that will make us test for /usr/athena/include/zephyr then
/usr/include/zephyr then /usr/local/include/zephyr existing and attempt to
use the first of those that we find.

But for that usage (and the matching one for GG) I think I'd rather make
it explicit and rename --with-zephyr to --with-external-zephyr (or turn it
around and make it --with-internal-zephyr and leave external usage as
default). Not that this matters much and may not be worth the disturbance
it causes.

But, my proposed change, extended to include zephyr would mean that to
specify a non-standard location would involve using
'ZEPHYR_CFLAGS=-I/usr/include ./configure ...' instead of './configure
--with-zephy=/usr' (though I also just noticed that we interpret
--with-zephyr=$zpath to set both $zpath/include and $zpath/lib but
--with-zephyr only sets the location of the include directory which is
interesting).

    -Etan