Veracode static analysis results

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sat Dec 29 19:59:53 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:
> * NTLM session key -- I don't know enough about NTLM to say if this is a
>   real problem or not.  Using a real RNG certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'm assuming g_rand_int() has similar problems as rand()?  How big of
a problem do we think this is?  From what I'm reading maybe
/dev/random isn't perfect, but it's decent.  I'm inclined to think
this is minor and doesn't need to be fixed soon (if ever).  If we were
generating long-term SSL certificates or something, sure.  But in this
case it seems like we're generating a key for only a single session.

In case we think we need to change this: It looks like gnutls does
provide a random number generator in their API.  libnss might not (at
least, I couldn't find one).  We could possibly evaluate whether
gnutls is widespread enough for us to drop support for libnss.

> * write_data_to_file race -- this is real.  We should be using open()
>   and fdopen() (or the g_ equivalents thereof?).

How important do people think this is?  It seems not important to me.
Worst case I can think of is that there is a brief window where
accounts.xml is group and/or world readable.  But this shouldn't
normally be a problem because ~/.purple/ should not be group or world
writable, right?  Unless there are times when we write sensitive
information outside of purple_user_dir using
purple_util_write_data_to_file_absolute(), but I didn't notice any.

I propose committing this fix to head and not 2.x.y.  Any objections?