strange behavior - don't know if it's a security issue or not

Paul Aurich paul at darkrain42.org
Fri Jan 13 22:38:21 EST 2012

And Jorge Villaseñor spoke on 01/13/2012 02:43 PM, saying:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Kevin Crocker
> <kevin.b.crocker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been getting a pop-up window from the same person for days. However, I
>> don't know this person, and even though Pidgin says that the person is
>> typing, I never get anything. I'm worried that this is someone using Pidgin
>> to hack into my computer.

> Which protocol are showing this behavior? There are some protocols
> like MSN and ICQ (IIRC) that allow people to send you messages even if
> you have not added them to your buddy list.

Further, if you've configured your Privacy settings for that account to
only allow messages from people on your list (or to block this account),
you may see the behavior you've described.  For some protocols*, Pidgin
will block messages itself according to your privacy settings, but does not
suppress the "is typing" notifications.

* This changed to "For all protocols" somewhere in the 2.6 branch, I
believe.  So let's assume "For all protocols".
not already support blocking messages.

> I don't think this is a security issue.

I agree; if the above suggestions are not conclusive, please open a ticket
(http://pidgin.im/newticket)

Cheers,
~Paul