Buffer overflow in MXit image command

Ulf Härnhammar ulfharn at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:52:57 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have found a stack-based buffer overflow in Pidgin (verified in
versions 2.10.4 and 2.10.3, but other versions are also assumed to be
vulnerable).

The function "mxit_show_message()" in
libpurple/protocols/mxit/markup.c has an erroneous memcpy() call that
stores data in the ii[] array on the stack without checking if the
length is small enough. By sending messages with special image
commands on the MXit network, an attacker can trick a victim's Pidgin
installation into running arbitrary code.

I have attached a PoC for this bug. I believe it to be exploitable at
least on Windows XP, as the crash occurs during a memory write, with
both data and address under control. The WinDBG !exploitable extension
says that the bug is exploitable as well.

I hope that we can cooperate on solving this problem.

Regards,
Ulf Härnhammar