Security Bug in Pidgin-2.10.7

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Apr 13 11:55:45 EDT 2013

Radhesh Krishnan K spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Okay, May be I am wrong. Please help me to understand this.

This is a complex issue, actually.

> FIle I am refering is "*
> pidgin-2.10.7/libpurple/protocols/gg/lib/events.c:843*"

This file is an imported version of the externally-maintained libgadu
library.

> Code starting from here.
>
> #ifdef GG_CONFIG_HAVE_OPENSSL

We never set this flag.  When linking against an external libgadu, we
additionally have this check:

#if defined(__GG_LIBGADU_HAVE_OPENSSL) || defined(GG_CONFIG_HAVE_OPENSSL)
#error "libgadu is not compatible with the GPL when compiled with OpenSSL support."
#endif

This code is dead code in libpurple.  The issue you found may be real,
however, and should be taken up with the libgadu developers.  I have
Cc'd our own Tomasz Wasilczyk, who has worked with the libgadu
developers, and attached your original message.

Ethan