Remote crash

Chris Croy cjcroy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:10:58 EST 2013

For several months people have been able to remotely crash anyone using
Pidgin by copy/pasting certain strings into an IRC channel. Here is an
example I just got hit with, copy/pasted from my log file:

^ÂÊÎÔÛâêîôûĈĉĜĝĤĥĴĵŜŝŴŵŶŷˆ̭̂᷍ḒḓḘḙḼḽṊṋṰṱṶṷẐẑẤấẦầẨẩẪẫẬậẾếỀềỂểỄễỆệỐốỒồỔổỖỗỘộ⨣⨶⩯ꞈ

Viewing that string with pidgin in any way causes a crash. I can crash
myself by pasting the string into pidgin or viewing a log from within
pidgin. I get the same error message every time. It is titled Microsoft
Visual C++ Runtime Library. It says, "The application has requested the
Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's
support team for more information."

I am using version 2.10.6. I am not using any addons or plugins.

-Chris