PGP key for vulnerability reports

Richard Johnson rjohnson at sourcefire.com
Mon Nov 18 17:27:24 EST 2013

Windows can be forced to map the first page via a VirtualAlloc if the
memory is sufficiently filled / fragemented. This no longer applies in
Windows 8 I believe but for all others it does. I used to work on the
Microsoft Security team and can confirm this to be true. I'm not positive
about whether there are specific mitigations against this in OSX or vanilla
Linux kernel. Either way, most vendors consider a writeAV to be
exploitable.

Yeah, the URL handling bug is particularly annoying because we cannot write
a signature for it from an IPS perspective.

I have a few other bugs I'll send over that were less critical but could
potentially lead to information leak of remote memory layout, which is
necessary for exploitation on systems with ASLR.

I don't have any tight time constraints but hope we can release these
before the end of quarter.

Cheers,
Rich

--