PGP key for vulnerability reports

Richard Johnson rjohnson at sourcefire.com
Sat Nov 23 18:01:11 EST 2013

We observed that you currently filter .exe and .bat files so we assume it
is your intention to filter arbitrary download & execute scenarios. In this
case a .jar file is an executable format that runs with full user
privileges if the JRE is installed. This behavior is different that what a
user would normally expect when clicking on a .jar file in a browser. Java
will run in a more secure sandboxed context when executed from within the
browser, ShellExecute is equivalent to executing the path from the Run
Command dialog. Other executable programming language files such as python
would also be executed if the interpreter was installed and this is not
expected behavior in a browser.

We would advise against passing arbitrary file:// URLs to ShellExecute. You
could also make the link target explicitly visible if it is not a HTTP URL.

You would need to use the MSHTML WebBrowser control or pass the URL as an
argument to iexplore.exe if you want to replicate the browser's treatment
of a URL.

--
Richard Johnson
Sourcefire VRT