Jabber OOB Transfer security issue

Thijs Alkemade thijsalkemade at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 05:00:58 EDT 2013

On 20 sep. 2013, at 03:31, Daniel Atallah wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Matt Jones <matt at volvent.org> wrote:
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Just wondering if CVE's will be organised for the ones which are
> security related fixes?
>
> We generally request CVEs for issues causing arbitrary code execution and remote crashes that don't require the user to initiate or accept an interaction.
>
> Without looking at the code more than the snippet attached, it looks this particular issue is only triggered after a user has accepted a file transfer, unless it can be used to cause arbitrary code execution (I haven't looked at it closely enough to tell if that's the case or not), it probably wouldn't get a CVE.

I don't think this can cause a crash. The only place where size is used is as an argument to purple_xfer_set_size(), which would immediately cast it to a size_t (which is unsigned). Of course someone could specify −1 to get libpurple to initiate a filetransfer for a 2^64 − 1 (on 64bit) byte file, but there should be other safeguards against that (at the latest the OS not letting you allocate a 18 EB file).

It's sloppy code, yes, but I don't think it's a security issue.

Thijs