PGP key for vulnerability reports

Rich Johnson (richjoh) richjoh at cisco.com
Mon Jan 13 17:35:32 EST 2014

Hi Mark,

The timeline sounds good and we appreciate you handling the CVE numbers. We have reviewed the patches and they look good.

Credit should be as follows:

VRT-2013-1001 - Yves Younan and Ryan Pentney of Sourcefire VRT
VRT-2013-1002 - Yves Younan and Pawel Janic of Sourcefire VRT
VRT-2013-1003 - Yves Younan of Sourcefire VRT
VRT-2013-1004 - Yves Younan of Sourcefire VRT

For the file handling vulnerability, it might make the most sense to whitelist http/https and warn on all other strings, then do a CreateProcess on iexplore.exe (or pull default browser string from registry) and pass the URL as an argument. Our analysis showed that a ShellExecute has different behavior than that of the browser itself. There was also a followup email by Yves that showed the URL handling bug to be exploitable in KDE in case you hadn't seen that yet?

We will be posting these advisories on our blog and releasing the signatures to the open source snort community in tandem with your release, so please let us know when you get the CVE numbers so we can add them to our local copies.

Best Regards,

Rich Johnson
VULNDEV Team Lead
Sourcefire VRT