Vulnerability Disclosure ::: Pidgin

Nitin Goplani nitingoplani88 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 10:51:58 EDT 2014

Hi,

It was observed that pidgin.im  domain is not configured to support DNSSEC.
This opens up a man-in-the-middle scenario where remote attackers will be
able to tamper with your DNS records by the use of cache poisoning
techniques.

*About DNSSEC*: It is a technology to provide the guarantee that the answer
from the Global DNS is correct which means the IP address belongs to the
actual website not the fake/malicious one.
(i.e. if I type in the domain for my bank's website, I sure hope the IP
address my browser goes to is of the intended bank, not some nefarious
middle man trying to steal my data. This is what DNSSEC helps solve).
DNSSEC introduces digital signatures into the DNS infrastructure and is
designed to automatically ensure that users are not hijacked en route and
taken to an unintended destination

*Recommendation:* It is recommended to deploy DNSSEC. It will ensure the
end user is connecting to the actual web site or other service
corresponding to a particular domain name.

Thanks,
Nitin