Unsafe use of g_random_int()

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Aug 15 12:30:22 EDT 2015

Folks,

What we need to decide here is whether we should do a coordinated
release for this.  Mike is prepared to put a CSPRNG in purple 2 (using
/dev/urandom), and purple 3 will have a proper RNG interface in
purple_util (using an SSL library if available, and urandom if not).

This is certainly a security-related bug.  I think it should have a
CVE.  I don't think it's readily exploitable due to its position (even
with a non-CSPRNG, 64 bits of identical data is unlikely, and this
nonce is only created on a connection attempt -- so the number of
times you create it will be relatively low, and attacking it would
involve auth failures, which you'd notice), but it's still bad.

I will help Mike through requesting a CVE from our RH friends.

But ... do we just publish the CVE, fix it and let it sit until the
next purple-2 release, or do we coordinate a purple-2 release for
shortly after GSoC with this fix in place?  Thoughts?

Ethan