Unsafe use of g_random_int()

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Oct 20 13:34:55 EDT 2015

Ethan Blanton spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > There's a more serious concern, though. Specifically, there are uses of
> > the Glib function g_random_int() to generate nonces in the Jabber SCRAM
> > and DIGEST_MD5 SASL code. The Glib docs state:
>
> My analysis of this is that it's dangerous, but unlikely to be
> immediately exploitable.  I think we should fix it, have a CVE issued,
> and then coordinate the next normal release of Pidgin.  I don't think
> we need to push a release for this.

We never really made a decision on this front.  The GSoC stuff is now
being merged; James's Facebook prpl has already been merged.  I think
we should set a date for libpurple 2.11 (Maybe early November?),
request a CVE, and get this process started.  Please weigh in on this.

Ethan