Pidgin for x86 Solaris9

Donald Woeltje DWoeltje at pbcgov.org
Thu Dec 27 15:57:22 EST 2007

I downloaded pidgin-2.1.1 from the sunfreeware website and installed it. But I couldn't figure out how to run it. Finally I found a file in /usr/local/bin called pidgin and the KDE Konquerer identified it as an executable file. So I tried running it....but nothing seemed to happen. So, I opened up a console and reran it. I was having library problems (two missing library files (well, rather, it just couldn't find them) and one outdated library file (wrong version of the file)). I got that fixed and then tried running /usr/local/bin/pidgin again.

This time I got:

ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/pidgin: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/bin/pidgin: symbol g_set_application_name: referenced symbol not found
Killed

Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?