Where and how to install Pidgin - problem

Chris debtfree411 at kol.co.nz
Thu Nov 15 02:06:22 EST 2007

Hi a newbie here

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and trying to get pidgin (Pgn) installed.
I downloaded the source file into my home dir. Opened terminal and 'cd'
to find file dir and ran './configure' as per 'install' file then,
Type `make' to compile the package.

Type `make install' to install the programs and any data files and
documentation. ("You should run 'make install' as root to make sure
plugins and other files get installed into locations they want to be
in.)

 then had the error message that GTK+ 2.0 files were not installed so I
installed them

however after all was "installed" the file was created in my Home dir
with my documents etc. Not what I expected?
Then I tried to run the program by clicking Pidgin 'shell script'
nothing happens?
Please can someone help with what was supposed to happen or where I went
wrong here and how to get it to run in the right place?

TIA
Chris