pidgin hiding

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Thu Nov 15 05:26:50 EST 2007

gps wrote:
> Hi I got this solved.
>> su -
>> rpm -e pidgin-2.2.2-0.fc6
>> yum install gaim*

That is not what we call a "solution," because it means that if you ever
have any problem with gaim, your issue will never be fixed.  I think the
proper term for what you did might be "workaround."

Perhaps you should try running Pidgin via a terminal:

pidgin -d

Then, try to see if you can find any obvious problems reported that
might explain why it never appears, or perhaps a place where it simply
stops functioning.

It should be noted that if you have a notification area enabled
somewhere, Pidgin could potentially be hiding in it.  You may want to
look for any indication that it is doing so, or try turning off the
notification area, which should force it to appear.

Kevin