Text-Encoding in XMPP-Account

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Fri Nov 23 08:26:28 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:12:33PM +0100, Stefan Offermann wrote:
> Hi Luke!
>
> Luke Schierer wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 09:57:59AM +0100, Stefan Offermann wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>is there an option to change the text-encoding of an XMPP-account?
> >>
> >>My Buddy and I both run pidgin on Windows, using irc-over-xmpp to get
> >>into an IRC-Channel. While my Umlauts (ä, ö, ü) are correctly
> >>displayed in the chat-window, the umlauts on his machine are "corrupted"
> >>chars, his umlauts on my screen are not shown at all.
> >>
> >>Is this a problem with the text encoding in xmpp, in irc or is it a
> >>problem of the ejabberd-server providing irc-over-xmpp?
> >>
> >>I hope someone can help with this weird problem.
> >>

> >How are you inserting those characters?
>
> Just by typing on the keyboard... Is there a way to configure the text
> encoding of an XMPP account? This would be very helpful. Maybe there is
> a workaround for a windows-xp system (in which pidgin is running).
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Okay, so you have a non-english keymapping then?  I know that you'd have
issues sending if you had used the windows latin1 alt-keycode insert,
but I do not know of any problems with the non-english keymaps.

The thing is that xmpp requires that text be sent out as UTF8.  Is your
friend also using Pidgin?  If so, there really ought not to be any issue
here.

luke