How to disable file sharing?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sun Nov 25 17:20:55 EST 2007

Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Mark Doliner wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:55:02 +0000, mardahl wrote
> >> In order to use Pidgin at work, I have to be able to disable file
> >> sharing, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.  Is there a way?
> >> Thanks, Steve
> >
> > Pidgin does not have that option natively.  It might be possible to do it with
> > a plugin... but really "disabling file sharing" is the same as just clicking
> > "deny" whenever someone sends you a file.
>
> Even if it was done in a plugin (which I'm pretty sure is possible), it
> wouldn't matter because the user could then just turn off the plugin.
> Which is the same problem as if it's just a preference.

We had a recent request (and, in fact, I have an email pertaining to
it in my inbox that I need to review) for libpurple to advertise features
like file transfer optionally, based on whether or not the UI claims
to support them (via supplying UI ops).  This might pave the way for
simple #ifdef clauses to enable/disable file transfer support in the
Pidgin client.

This is not the first time we have heard this request.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.