[Fwd: Re: Make protocole plugins]

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Nov 26 15:15:40 EST 2007

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'm tempted to say we ought to distribute autogen.sh since that and
> configure.ac are the forms we prefer to modify.

I don't think it really matters either way, but I prefer to continue
to *not* distribute it with the tarballs, so people don't run it and
break their build trees inadvertently.

*Most* changes to configure.ac/Makefile.am/etc. will be handled by the
normal autotools mechanisms -- that is, when you run 'make', it will
rerun autoconf/automake/whatever as necessary.  This has not always
been the case, but it is at present.  For the few types of changes
which actually require re-running those tools (and adding a
subdirectory is one of those), I think fetching the development source
is not inappropriate.  In addition, 'autoreconf' works pretty well for
our sources in most of the remaining situations.  (I think
intltool-related changes might still screw it up.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.