under Linux can I send an instant message from the shell via pidgin or finch

Lee Moore moore at imperas.com
Thu Nov 29 10:03:40 EST 2007

Hi Support

I want to be able to script up calls to send messages (via finch or pidgin)
Is it possible to do this ?

I had hoped that I would be able to do this via the perl interface,
but it appears that the perl
appears underneath pidgin, what I effectively want to do is to wrap
this functionality to mimic the
unix 'write' (write message to a user) utility.

So in effect I want to be able to have a command line message somethng like

% sendIM <user> <message>

where <user> is a 'buddy' known to pidgin, and message is simply a
string to be sent

Is this possible ?

Thx
Lee

The information contained in this electronic mail message and any
attachments hereto is privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above or their
designee.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error please immediately notify us by return
message or by telephone and delete the original message from your mail
system.  Thank you.