Disabling UPnP in Windows Pidgin 2.3.0

David F. Severski davidski-pg at deadheaven.com
Thu Nov 29 19:11:05 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:12:59PM -0500, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:06 AM, <davidski-pg at deadheaven.com> wrote:
>> Are there any existing or planned facilities to disable UPnP support in
>> the
>> Windows Pidgin port?  An old Gaim ticket to provide a config option for
>> this
>> seems to have gone stale.  The only way I've found to eliminate this
>> unnecessary service has been to block it at the host firewall level.
>
> Out of curiosity, why would you want to disable UPnP?

I, like many users, do not use UPnP.  In fact, given the history of UPnP
on Windows, it's one of the first services I disable when hardening
that OS.  In general, a fundamental security stance is to disable
unnecessary services.  Doing so minimizes the amount of attack service
presented to the outside world.  With the exception of DNS lookups, every
other service or traffic sent out of Pidgin seems to be user
controllable.  Only UPnP presents a hard coded service that is always on
with no possibly to turn off.

David