HTML-Formating, XMPP

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Wed Oct 10 11:56:59 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:24:48PM +0200, gesus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a possibility to force pidgin to send plain text messages
> instead of html-messages? I use pidgin with ubuntu-gutsy and if I send
> a [jabber-]message to one of my contacts the XMPP-console gives the
> following output.

pidgin should never send *only* xhtml-im text, are you seeing it do that?
It should always be sending both a plain-text message and an xhtml-im
version of the message.

> A few command-line jabber clients don't get along with this. You have
> to interpret the html-code to read the message. Is there a way around?

Assuming pidgin is working correctly and sending both normal and xhtml-im
messages clients that attempt to use the xhtml-im version when they don't
support it are being broken and should be fixed.

> Thanks in advance,
> Christian

Furthermore, I believe pidgin should not be sending xhtml-im at all to
clients that don't advertise support for that feature, so if your friends
client is advertising support for it when they know they can't support it
then they are even more broken and in need of fixing.

	-Etan