sort user accounts

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Wed Oct 17 14:04:52 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 06:14:15PM +0200, davide wrote:
> Hi,
> I've some friends with multiple account in different IM protocols, I
> started to unify them in one only line per person, but I would like to
> chhose the default IM protocol used when I doubleclick on the name in
> the list contact. Is it possible? How?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> and thank you very much for the lines of code known as pidgin.

if you right click on a contact and select expand, you can see an
ordered list of the buddies in that contact.  Pidgin will pick the
highest/topmost buddy that is most available.

It computes which is most available as follows:

it will start at the top looking for a buddy that is "present" and not
idle.  If it finds one, it will use that.

If it did not already find one, it will then start at the top looking for a buddy that is away but not
idle.  If it finds one, it will use that.

If it has not already found one, it will start at the top of the list
looking for a buddy that is idle but not away.  If it finds one, it will
use that.

If it has not already found one, it will start at the top of the list
looking for a buddy that is both away and idle.  If it finds one it will
use that.

Lastly, if all of the buddies are offline, it will pick the top buddy.
Ideally it would search the list one more time, looking for a buddy that
is offline, but on a protocol that supports offline messages.  This has
not, however, been implemented yet.

With this search pattern, you should be able to drag the buddies in that
contact into an order that will yeild reasonable results for that
contact most of the time.

luke