Pidgin won't start (completely)

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Mon Sep 24 09:32:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 10:31 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:

> Please attach gdb to the process (use ps to get the pid, then run "gdb
> pidgin <pid>") and get a backtrace.

Supplementary...

I tried to compile Pigdin and Purple with the defaults that are in the
FreeBSD Port. Those look like this:

  [ ] SILC      Secure Internet Live Conferencing support
  [X] GNUTLS    GNUTLS encryption support
  [ ] NSS       Mozilla NSS encryption support
  [ ] SASL      Cyrus SASL support (for jabberd)
  [X] DBUS      Enable DBUS bindings
  [ ] PERL      Perl scripting
  [X] BONJOUR   Enable mDNS support
  [ ] SAMETIME  Enable Sametime client support
  [ ] TCLTK     Tcl/Tk scripting

It didn't make any diff when runningi - at least I can't see any. However,
I noticed this during the config of purple:

checking for HOWL... yes
checking howl.h usability... yes
checking howl.h presence... yes
checking for howl.h... yes
checking for sw_discovery_init in -lhowl... yes
checking for SILC... Illegal instruction (core dumped)
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
no
no
checking for SILC... Illegal instruction (core dumped)
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
no
no
checking for SILC... yes
checking for silcmime.h... yes
checking for GADU... gnome-config: not found
no
no
checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes
checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes
checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
checking for uname... yes
checking for -Waggregate-return option to gcc... yes

Maybe this helps a little.

Regards,
Chris