Exporting Incoming IMs as Text Files

Ivan Kowalenko kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 01:37:51 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 21.01, Luke Schierer wrote:
> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>> Hello. I'm wondering if there's some way to take incoming IMs, and
>> as they come in, export each incoming message as a text file. If
>> there isn't some kind of native support for that, is it possible to
>> script it in?
>> Thanks guys!
>
> There are a number of ways to handle this.
>
> One way, if you do not need each to be a unique text file, would be
> to simply log them.

Logging in this case is not an option. Right now I'm working with a
system designed to take incoming SMS messages (each stored in a text
document ending in .sms) and display them.

> A second would be to write a plugin, perl or TCL would do this, no
> need to know C.

I figured scripting would be what's required. I was just wondering if
one existed. I'm pretty much going to have to learn the language from
scratch, I'm wondering if I could get a recommendation on which is
easier to learn and execute on a Windows system (blasphemy, I know,
but the tools I'm trying to interface with only exist in Win32)

> A third way would be to work with the dbus interface.

Could you explain this one to me? I'm not sure I'm familiar with it.