pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libpurple.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Praveen Raju praveen.myst at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:13:24 EDT 2008

Hello,
I just installed pidgin 2.4.1 on my linux(gnome).
And I tried to launch pidgin and I get the following error

pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libpurple.so.0: cannot open

I checked for this file and it exists in these locations.

/root/Desktop/pidgin-2.4.1/libpurple/.libs/libpurple.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libpurple.so.0
/usr/lib/libpurple.so.0

ibpurple.so.0 is a sym link to libpurple.so.0.4.1 :
 -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2313354 Apr 24 21:01 libpurple.so.0.4.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 Apr 24 21:01 libpurple.so.0 ->
libpurple.so.0.4.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 Apr 24 21:01 libpurple.so ->
libpurple.so.0.4.1

And I googled for solution and I found that many others had similar problem
and the solution was :

1. install gnutls and gnutls dlevel
I checked my installation and gnutls and gnutls dlevel are installed.

And I used the following command to start installation of pidgin
*./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gnutls-includes=/usr/include/gnutls/
--with-gnutls-libs=/usr/lib/*
**
I feel I have everything installed and made no mistakes. But still pidgin
refuses to launch!!
Can anyone tell whats wrong?
Thanks,
Praveen