[Question #42611]: Encrypted log files?

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 16:00:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:32:11 -0000
l33ting disorder <question42611 at answers.launchpad.net> wrote:

> New question #42611 on Pidgin:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/pidgin/+question/42611
>
> I notice there's an encryption plugin for Pidgin, but it doesn't seem to touch the logs.
>
> Is there a plugin that GPG-encrypts the log files so a password is required to read them?
>
> If not, can I suggest that be added in the next pidgin release? :)

I know that you'll probably be bored to tears with me mentioning this,
but I should warn anyone where legal access to encrypted information
has been allowed (i.e. at least the UK, and probably anywhere where
rubber hose cryptanalysis is practised) it is bad practice to store
anything that can be decrypted later.

Use the Off The Record plugin and don't keep *any* logs at all. I know
this is awkward, but if you are really discussing things that you don't
want being overheard then it makes sense.

Security fails at the weakest link.

Paranoid, moi?

--

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."