[Question #42611]: Encrypted log files?

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 03:53:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:30:33 -0000
l33ting disorder <question42611 at answers.launchpad.net> wrote:

> It seems that with filesystem-level encryption, I'd need to enter my
> password in order for pidgin to be able to write the logs.
>
> I'd like pidgin to be able to write to the log dir without me having to
> enter my password, but require a password to read from the log dir.

Well, if you are using filesystem encryption and want everything to
work without any pass-phrase, how does that count as extra security?

Security is an entire process, and using it requires discipline and
commitment. Otherwise you don't have anything but false security.

--

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."