[Question #42611]: Encrypted log files?

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 15:40:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:51:09 -0500
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> > Well, if you are using filesystem encryption and want everything to
> > work without any pass-phrase, how does that count as extra security?
>
> Google for "Public key cryptography".

I don't follow that. I know what that is, and I know how it works, I
was pointing out that leaving a supposedly 'secure' system in a state
where it is not protected by a pass phrase with a suitable entropy
comparable with the effort required to brute force the encryption
doesn't get you very far.

--

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."