configure requires everything?!?

hymie! hymie at lactose.homelinux.net
Fri Aug 22 10:25:00 EDT 2008

Greetings.

I tried searching the FAQ and the support mailing list archives, but I didn't
see anybody talking about this.  If there's a thread or bug report that I
missed, I'd appreciate if you could point me to it.

I just downloaded pidgin 2.5.0 and I'm trying to configure it.  I'm on
my seventh ./configure attempt.  It seems that a large number of various
obscure add-ons are now "enabled" by default.

So far, I've had to re-run ./configure to explicitly:
--disable-startup-notification
--disable-gtkspell
--disable-gstreamer
--disable-meanwhile
--disable-avahi

I've never even heard of the last two.

Why can't ./configure just assume that if I'm missing some of these things,
I don't want them  (like it used to)?

Thanks.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie at lactose.homelinux.net