SpellCheck in 2.5.3 [revisited]

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Sat Dec 27 14:02:10 EST 2008

2008/12/27 John Moore 3rd <jmoore3rd at gmail.com>:
> Following Etan's suggestion I have re-installed 2.5.3 making sure to
> confirm that Spell Check is enabled.  While English was pre-selected &
> grayed out' it was selected with a check mark in both places. [one in
> Spell Check & another next to English].  Post re-install I still do not
> have the functionality of Spell Check in the IM Compose screen.  :(
>
> I have not yet reverted to 2.5.2 to see if it returns with a Downgrade
> to the prior version.  Running Pidgin on XP SP3.  Since no Plug-Ins were
> added or disabled between version 2.5.2 & 2.5.3 I am curious at to
> whether any changes in code between the 2 versions may have introduced a
> conflict?

There have been no relevant changes in the pidgin code.

The more likely scenario is that you've installed something else that
has overridden/replaced the aspell stuff on your machine.  Another
possibility is that the language in which pidgin is running is
different than the languages of any dictionaries you have installed.

I suggest uninstalling aspell and your dictionaries via "Add/Remove
Programs" in the control panel, then reinstalling both aspell and a
dictionary manually as the FAQ specifies:
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Installing%20Pidgin#IsthereawaytoinstallSpell-checkingsupportAspellmanually

-D