Stop dividing history into conversations?

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Feb 11 19:30:37 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 03:11:04PM -0800, nullspace wrote:

> Is it possible to stop Pidgin from dividing the history into conversations?
> I always close IM windows after I send my message, which ends the
> "conversation".
>
> That not only makes the logs very hard to read within Pidgin, it also means
> that when I get a reply, the window only shows the last message.  Ideally it
> would show the last XX bytes of the history (similar to Trillian).  Can I
> make it keep timestamps without dividing up the logs?
>
> I searched the forums, but I was unable to find any way to do this.

First off, stop compulsively closing the window. =)

Second, the next version of pidgin will not immediately close the log file
when the window closes, but will instead delay the closing for 10 minutes.
If a new IM comes in during that time period the previous conversation
will be restored with the 'full' history of that conversation, if the
timeout elapses the conversation (and the log) will be closed.

If you want history to show up over conversation boundaries you can use
the history plugin to get that.

    -Etan

P.S. But really, stop compulsively closing the conversation window, it doesn't
help you, it doesn't help your conversation, it likely just makes the
windows appearance more annoying (as it likely pops up in front of things
you might be paying attention to), and as you've noticed it makes keeping
the conversation in your head more difficult.