Stop dividing history into conversations?

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Tue Feb 12 12:37:20 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 22:14 EST, Mark Doliner wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:30:37 -0500, Etan Reisner wrote
>> P.S. But really, stop compulsively closing the conversation window,
>> it doesn't help you, it doesn't help your conversation, it likely
>> just makes the windows appearance more annoying (as it likely pops
>> up in front of things you might be paying attention to), and as
>> you've noticed it makes keeping the conversation in your head more
>> difficult.
>
> Doesn't it seem a bit oppressive of us to command people not to
> close the
> conversation window?  I kinda feel like, if someone wants to close the
> conversation window then, uh, we should probably let them.
>
> -Mark

It is somewhat dictatorial in tone, I suppose, but really, we aren't
forcing him to actually change his behavior.

This is why we looked at implementing the persistent conversations. On
the other hand, conversation demarkation is useful to some of us,
which is why we ought not to force persistent conversations.  (this
reply in part relates to another thread).  The preference to close
logs only when the window closes, and immediately when the window
closes, is a legitimate one I think.

luke