Pidgin XMPP and Kerberos

clockwork at sigsys.org clockwork at sigsys.org
Thu Feb 21 17:40:35 EST 2008

So I have an openfire server, and I'm using pidgin on the client side with
kerberos authentication. However when using kerberos tickets to authenticate
with pidgin I run into a bit of a conflict. The pidgin config is as follows:

Domain: domain.com
Connect Server: im.foor.domain.com

Using a kerberos password works. Using a kerberos ticket however fails with
the following error: (garnered from pidgin -d)

sasl: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more
information (Server not found in Kerberos database)

Now if I reverse the pidgin config so that the Domain is the hosts fqdn  and
leave the connect server blank everything works peachy keen. This seems
horribly backwards since that means pidgin is using Domain for the ticket
request instead of connect server which is IMHO the expected behavior.

So is this indeed the expected behavior ?