Problems with authorisation to ejabberd servers

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Wed Feb 27 01:25:22 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:50:51PM -0500, Evan Schoenberg wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:35 AM, Shadowfirebird wrote:
>
> >Yep, they're already there.  Sorry.
> >
> >(And, I should have mentioned, our Windows XP box downstairs has the
> >same problem.)
>
> Do you have control over the ejabberd server?  Could you try disabling
> the DIGEST-MD5 authentication method if so?
>
> This reminds me of a problem with cryus-sasl and old versions of the
> Openfire java-basde jabber server which has been fixed in recent
> versions of Openfire.
>
> -Evan

The Openfire/java-sasl-digest problem cause the connection to terminate as
I recall, it didn't cause an authentication failure. So I don't think that
is it.

As a further comment, I'm not exactly sure how the debug output as pasted
can even be generated (that is I can't trace the code to create that
specific set of debugging messages) so I'm a bit confused by that. As to
what might be happening, it was suggested that the problem might be that
the server is expecting tuff.org.uk in the sasl negotiation but that
pidgin is using biggeek.tuff.org.uk (because that is what the SRV
resolution tells us the host is).

So Shadowfirebird if you can try putting biggeek.tuff.org.uk in the
connect server field (either as a host name or as an IP address) and
seeing if that allows you to connect, I would appreciate it.

    -Etan