[Question #37941]: Cannot create functional account

Richard Laager question37941 at answers.launchpad.net
Tue Jul 1 16:54:12 EDT 2008

Question #37941 on pidgin in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pidgin/+question/37941

Richard Laager requested for more information:
Evan Platt answered (on the support at pidgin.im list, without CCing this
question):

Phil Kimmins wrote:
> I find none of the above "solutions" helpful with regard to setting up a workable account. The answers provided are usually one-liners very short on detail.

What "Above solutions"?

> My questions:
> 1. When setting up an account, do I use the account details provided by my ISP?

What account are you trying to set up? AIM? Yahoo? ICQ? You'd use
whatever details you used when setting up the IM account.

> 2. I selected the SIMPLE protocol. Is this the correct option? I am running Ubuntu 8.04

Do you have a SIMPLE account? Enter the details for that account.

> 3. If the "Add a Buddy' option is greyed out, why?

My guess is you haven't added any accounts.

> If, in my questions, I have neglected anything needed to set up my account, could you please correct that oversight in your answer?

In general, you don't set up an account in pidgin - you enter the
account details. For example in Pidgin, I use Yahoo, AIM, and ICQ. I
create a Yahoo IM on Yahoo's servers, then enter this information in Pidgin.

Pidgin Support, which is an answer contact for pidgin in ubuntu.