do we need this list to be spammed by ubuntu's launchpad?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Jul 3 13:20:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 07:56 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
> Is it possible to not have launchpad e-mail the useless 'updates'?

In general, letting people subscribed to a question know about updates
to the linked bug report is a great idea, so no, it's not possible to
disable these particular notices individually.

> I count about 20 in the past 24 hours for the same 'ticket' (37929):

They were actually for the linked bug report, which is Bug #244591.

This happened because there was a serious problem with multiple IM
clients. Someone (reasonably) asked a question about the problem, which
then (properly) got linked to the bug report. The bug report (properly)
had task items for Pidgin & Kopete (upstream, across all the supported
versions of Ubuntu, and Debian) as well as Licq upstream.

This is getting pretty close to a worst-case possible bug, ever. I
suppose someone could have thrown in a couple more clients and tied them
to RedHat bug reports as well or something.

I'll stipulate that answer contacts for project X *probably* (which is
to say they might in some cases) don't care about updates to the status
of a task for project Y on a linked bug report, but it doesn't seem to
me that it'd be worth it for the Launchpad developers to write special
case code to deal with that when it's so rarely a problem.

Yes, this was annoying. So were all the users asking about the problem
(which is not unreasonable for them to do). When big issues happen, we
get a lot of mail. The Launchpad ones were pretty easy to sort out.

It's clear that the Launchpad e-mail bothers you in general. Why don't
you just filter it out?

Richard