Better buddy alerts; log flushing

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:39:18 EDT 2008

Hi, I'd like to use buddy pounces to see a short history of the status
changes of a small set of users.

If I try to set up popup window pounces, then I end up with a hojillion
windows because these users may be changing their status a whole bunch.

If I try to use the IM window pounces, then it's almost what I want,
except it's annoying to have these displays alongside my regular IM
conversations (can't tell which tabs are actually conversations).  Plus
I end up with a bunch of garbage logs, because I use the plug-in for
displaying user status changes in the IM window.

Is there any plug-in out there that comes close to providing what I want?

Also, how do logs (in particular system logs) get flushed?  Are they
flushed within a certain time bound?  I'm wondering if I can just write
a small shell script that follows the .system logs and greps for the
users I care about.

Thanks in advance!
--
Yang Zhang