Interesting Problem

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Jul 16 17:18:28 EDT 2008

John W. Moore III wrote:
> Earlier today Pidgin crashed.  Nothing new so I re-Opened it.  To my
> surprise I no long had /any/ Accounts.  I had to recreate them all
> individually.  :(
>
> Has anybody experienced this before?  Is there a Tip or Trick to either
> prevent it or recover quickly?
>
> JOHN :-\
> Timestamp: Wednesday 16 Jul 2008, 16:44  --400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

This seems to be significantly more common on Windows than it is on UNIX-like
systems.  As Evan Platt suggested, keep a backup of accounts.xml (ideally the
whole .purple directory, whose location is covered in our FAQ) and restore as
needed.  We've tried a number of things to fix this and it still continues to
fail; I think we've reached the limit of what we can reasonably do to fix the
problem.

John