A couple of questions

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Jun 2 04:58:21 EDT 2008

On Sat, 31 May 2008 03:07:20 -0400, Blankity Blank wrote
> Firstly, I still use gaim....i'm curious as to whether or not i
> would be able to install pidgin over gaim, and retain all my
> contacts, settings, logs, etc.

Yeah, that should be fine.  I would guess that you would want to uninstall
Gaim before installing Pidgin, but it might not matter.  Uninstalling Gaim
should only delete the program and NOT delete your contacts, settings, logs,
etc.  And Pidgin should migrate your contacts, settings, logs, etc. as necessary.

> Secondly, with gaim, i received a strange error message. it said
> "you have missed 2 messages from [can't remember username] because
> you are too evil." I found something along those lines in the old
> source code, so i know it's a legitimate error message, i'm curious
> as to what would trigger that error message.

"Evil" is synonymous with "warn" in AIM parlance.  So that error message
should be triggered only when you've been warned a few times and you're trying
to send a lot of messages to someone--the first few messages will go through
ok then subsequent IMs will be rejected and you'll have to wait a few seconds
and try again.

-Mark