Hyperlinking arbitrary strings in IMs

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Sun Jun 8 16:01:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 03:31:27PM -0400, Erigami Scholey-Fuller wrote:
> Howdy,
>
>    I'm looking for a plugin that will hyperlink an arbitrary string in
> an instant message, and run some user defined program when user clicks
> on it.
>
>    My use case is pretty simple: whenever the regex "bug (\d+)"
> matches, I'd like to run "firefox $1" (where $1 matches the bracketed
> text in the regex). Is there a plugin that provides this feature?
>
> thanks,

I don't know of any such plugins (nor would I suggest creating a plugin
that would automatically open links you were sent in IMs as that opens you
up to abuse). A plugin to make arbitrary text into a clickable link is
indeed possible from a plugin and I know at least two people have shown up
in #pidgin asking about help writing plugins to do that. I do not know
what the status of those plugins is or if they published them anywhere
though.

If you want to work on a plugin for this feel free to ask for help with it
and to post it on the Third Party Plugins wiki page when you are done (you
might want to check there, and google, now to see if you can find any
existing plugin).

	-Etan